I always make an effort to be thankful, but it’s this time of year that really reminds me of how grateful I am. Each year I find more and more blessings in my life to celebrate and be excited for. This year I have been contemplating my journey writing, and all it has done for me.
How many years has it been since that journey started? I honestly can’t say with any certainty. I started writing as a teenager. I still have some of those crazy stories in a notebook somewhere. I stopped for a good while, but picked it back up in young adulthood. I believe since then, it’s been about fourteen years.
In that time, I have written many, many short stories (a few of them published). I wrote several novels (one of them published). I dived into journaling pretty hardcore (and even published one of those too). I also started this blog that’s been going for about six or seven years.
Besides the physical production of writing, the act of writing has immensely transformed the landscape of my life from the inside out. It’s allowed me to dive deep into myself and the world around me. It’s allowed me to stretch myself and expand into possibilities I once thought impossible.
I would not be the person I am today without writing, and I am very thankful for that. I love who I am. I love the confidence I have built in myself and my writing ability. I love how much knowledge I have accumulated about writing and the writing life/community.
This has given me a new appreciation for myself, my journey, and how much experience I have in writing. And I can’t help but think that perhaps there are people out there who might benefit from some of what I know.
So I have decided to start a journey of becoming a writing mentor. I want to help others who might be beginning their writing journey, or who might be feeling a little lost in their writing journey and need some guidance, or who just needs a sounding board to bounce off story and character ideas.
Here are some writing, editing, design experiences that I have had…
- I’ve submitting work to traditional publishers (several short stories published).
- I also have two books I’ve self-published.
- I’ve helped several fellow writers publish their works traditionally, and a few who self-published too, including my eleven year old son.
- I ran a writing critique group for two years.
- I am running a writing blog, and maintaining multiple writing social media accounts.
- I edited and published articles for Psych Central for four years.
- I was a slush reader for Apex Magazine for four years.
- I have a graphic design degree, and have designed many book covers for myself and others.
- I also have experience formatting books for ebook and print.
Here are some specific things I can do for you…
- Help with story and character development
- Help with starting, planning, and finishing a novel or novel series
- Help with submitting to a traditional or indie publisher
- Help with getting into self-publishing, which includes cover designing and manuscript formatting
- Help with starting up a blog
- Overall guidance for how to be a writer and how to setup a good writing routine
- Be a sounding board for story and character ideas
- Help with world building and fleshing out story settings
- Offer helpful story critiques for finishing up a specific writing project
- Offer support and advice for moving out a writer’s block or staying motivated to write
Right now I have three spots available. So if you are interested, or know someone who is interested in taking advantage of this limited time free mentorship, then please feel free to contact me.
When contacting me, just let me know what sort of help you are looking for. Once you contact me, we can then determine if we want to keep emailing or do a video chat, or a combination.
My wish is to help keep the writing spirit alive in those who wish to travel the path of the writer. Writing itself is a lonely task, but it doesn’t have to be a lonely journey. So if you think you are in need of a writing companion to help you cover some ground in your journey, please reach out and let’s see if I will be a good fit for your needs.